Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Shout

The Shout is an award-winning 1978 horror film directed by Jerzy Skolimowski and starring Alan Bates, John Hurt, Susannah York, and Tim Curry (as Robert Graves, whose short story is the basis of the movie). Bates is a traveler who has spent 18 years with the Australian Aborigines and has learned how to kill with a shout. He intrudes on a young couple, and the effect of his presence is devastating.

You can watch it online at this link. Here's a trailer:



Ferdy on Film says, "The Shout stands today as a lonely island in cinema, one of a handful of entries in the history of the cinefantastique that evokes vast possibilities with a spare, even abstract, method." The British Film Institute says, "Most effective of all, however, is the director’s strange and darkly magical portrayal of the English coastline in his 1978 film The Shout, which contains – among many other unique things – one of British cinema’s most unnerving examples of sound design."

Roger Ebert gave it 3 out of 4 stars and says, "What makes the movie terrifying is the way in which the outback magic is introduced so naturally into the placid fabric of village life." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 82%.

11 comments:

  1. Huh. That is a fascinating idea. Killing with a shout. I wonder if the Native folks of Australia can actually do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not really a thing lol But this man does have a way about him.

      Delete
  2. Hey dear, there is nothing on my screen except a black box. Can't even click on anything. Thought you might like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ignore that last comment. The site refreshed when I published my comment and now I can see it. I'll watch it after I get up, since I haven't been to bed. Still catching up on blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! I'm glad you can see it now :) I was fascinated by the concept, by the effect this man had on this couple, and that ending! I appreciated the ending most of all.

      Delete
  4. This might make something interesting to watch while I'm waiting for Doctor Who

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss Doctor Who now that I don't have cable. It sounds like the new Doctor is worthy of the name :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds good! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was good. I had never heard of it before, but that cast!

      Delete
  6. I tried. Just couldn't get into it even though I love Alan Bates and John Hurt--who looks so young! I watched over 20 minutes and nothing had drawn me in at all, despite knowing what was supposed to come along at some point from the description and the first preview minute or so. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different strokes :) You can't always tell why you're not taken by a movie.

      Delete