Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Immobility


Immobility is a 2012 post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by Brian Evenson. This is an easy to read and yet thought-provoking look at a future humanity.

from the dust jacket:
When you open your eyes, things already seem to be happening without you. You don't know who you are, and you don't remember where you've been. You know the world has changed, that a catastrophe has destroyed what used to exist before, but you can't remember exactly what did exist before. And you're paralyzed from the waist down apparently, but you don't remember that either.

A man claiming to be your friend tells you your services are required. Something crucial has been stolen, but what he tells you about it doesn't quite add up. You've got to get it back or something bad is going to happen. And you've got to get it back fast, so they can freeze you again before your own time runs out.

Before you know it, you're being carried through a ruined landscape on the backs of two men in hazard suits who don't seem anything like you at all, heading toward something you don't understand that may well end up being the death of you.

Welcome to the life of Josef Horkai….
SF Revu calls it "a superb distressing noir thriller as the eclipse blocking the sun never moves on" Kirkus Reviews calls it "satisfying".

NPR closes a positive review with this: "...it's an undeniably important look at what we're at risk of becoming — a nightmare world without hope, reason or compassion. "It's never fair," as Horkai says. "Why should it be?"" Green Man Review finds fault with the editing but concludes, "I’m glad I read Immobility. It’s a bleak philosophical meditation masquerading as a delightfully twisted horror tale."

SF Signal says, "if you’ve been having an absolutely wonderful day and can’t stop smiling at all the good fortune that’s come your way lately, use Immobility to obliterate those warm fuzzy feelings into a thousand mewling fragments." Publishers Weekly says, "this compelling book will darken the mood of even the most lighthearted readers".

6 comments:

  1. Yikes! I don't think I want to darken my mood anymore than it already is. Find me something "sunny" quick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think really sad books and movies are just the thing when everything around me seems to be headed south. At least it's not as bad as these dystopic nightmare visions. On the other hand, when I'm down I just want to throw the happy books and movies across the room lol. I'll teach them to be so cheerful! ;)

      Delete
  2. I fear I'm with Darla. I need sunshine and rainbows today, because it's bleak, rainy, and overcast here. But I'm glad you shared this review, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having the dreary rain here, too, and it looks like it has set in for a long stay :( My husband agrees with you and Darla, so I'm guessing there'll be a light comedy on our tv tonight :)

      Delete
  3. No really, this is one I´m putting on my list for the rainy days, the ones that will come, sooner or later. This is exactly up my alley and balances those cheerful Wimsey-stories just right. Thanks for the tip! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like this. If you read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ending.

      Delete