Sunday, December 02, 2007

We're No Angels

We're No Angels (1955) is one of my favorite Christmas movies, although I never see it listed when folks are posting recommendations of must-see holiday films. There's no accounting for taste.... This movie is priceless, starring Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray and Adolph (as the snake) as the titular angels who take care of everything. Basil Rathbone plays the bad guy against Leo G. Carroll who plays his bumbling, well-meaning cousin. Joan Bennett is Leo G. Carroll's wife. The film is directed by Michael Curtiz.

11/28/2008:
We watched this tonight as our first holiday film this season. It's a perennial favorite. I see I haven't noted before that Gloria Talbott plays the daughter of Leo G. Carrol and Joan Bennett. She's perfect -the movie is perfectly cast- and is a great fainter. I saw her this past October in The Cyclops.

TCM has an overview. The New York Times reviews it here.

I still can't find a trailer online.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I saw it aged 13 when it first came out and have loved it ever since.

    ReplyDelete