Monday, May 26, 2014

Memphis Yodel

Memphis Yodel (1928):



by Jimmie Rodgers, the Father of Country Music, who died on this date in 1933 at the age of 35. He had long suffered from tuberculosis. He was born in Meridian, Mississippi, which is 3 3/4 hours south of Memphis.

lyrics:
I woke up this morning
The blues all around my bed
I woke up this morning
The blue's all around my bed
I didn't have nobody
To hold my aching head

If you don't want me, woman
Give me your right hand
If you don't want me, woman
Give me your right hand
'Cause I can find me another mama
And I know you can find a man

I love you, Memphis
You know I love, love you so
Lord, I love you, Memphis
Tennessee, I love you so
And I'd rather be here
Than any other place I know

I've got my ticket
I'm sure gonna ride this train, hey, hey, hey
Lord, I've got my ticket
I'm sure gonna ride this train
I'm goin' some place
Where I wont hear 'em call your name

I'm goin' to the river
Take me a rockin' chair, sing them blues, boy
I'm goin' to the river
And take me a rockin' chair
And if the blues don't leave me
I'll rock all the way from here

I don't want you, mama
And I know you don't want me, Lord, Lord, Lord
I don't want you, woman
And I know you don't want me
So I'm goin' to New Orleans
From there on across the sea

No comments:

Post a Comment