Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Carroll Cloar at the Memphis Brooks Museum

The Memphis Brooks Museum of Art is participating in the Summer of Cloar with an exhibition called The Crossroads of Memory: Carroll Cloar and the American South. I've never been a big fan of Cloar's paintings, and I feel like a traitor to the South saying so, but his style has just never particularly appealed to me for some reason.

I'm most familiar with his works Wedding Party (1971) and My Father Was Big as a Tree (1955), because they are part of the Brooks permanent collection and I remember them more than some of the others. They are pictured here:

image from the Brooks Museum

image from the Brooks Museum

My favorite from this exhibition is The Time of the Blackbirds (1955), which I can't find a picture of online. This exhibit names Where the Southern Cross the Yellow Dog as his most famous work:

image from the Brooks Museum

4 comments:

  1. Interesting works. I'm not familiar with the artist but will see if I can find our more about him on the link you provided. Always happy to look at new to me art.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love new to me art, too :) cloar has a wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_Cloar

      Delete
  2. This is great stuff! I love how he works with old photos, adding their images onto landscapes that are somehow archetypal rather than real. And the colours are so wonderful. Very inspiring work, I´m saving some links for later. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cloar is a big deal around here. his studio was in memphis, and he's always been very popular here.

      Delete