Friday, April 24, 2009

Essential SF Films for Beginners

SciFiCool.com has a list of essential sf films for beginners:
1. Star Wars
2. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
3. Back To The Future
4. Children Of Men
5. Star Trek 2 : The Wrath Of Khan
6. E.T. the Extra- Terrestrial
7. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

I've seen all of these. They describe it as a "watch list of beginner Sci-Fi movies that will get you on your Sci-Fi way and hopefully not frighten or bewilder you." But really, 2 out of 7 are Star Wars movies? I think I'll have a chat with The Family and come up with our own personal list.

Ok, we stayed with 7 movies but didn't rank them in any particular order. Here's The Younger Son's list:
Star Wars
City of Lost Children
Lilo and Stitch
Wrath of Khan
War of the Worlds
Pitch Black
The 5th Element

from The Husband:
The Day the Earth Stood Still (original version)
Metropolis (silent)
The Andromeda Strain
When Worlds Collide
Star Wars
Marooned
Frankenstein

I'm confused about the parameters so am opting out of a list right now. I can't figure out if I'm supposed to be making a list to introduce SF to people with no experience and perhaps a little reluctance or if I'm supposed to be providing a list to introduce the interested newcomer to the genre. Those would be 2 different lists.
I'm looking forward to the more advanced film list they will offer soon.

HT: SFSignal

No comments:

Post a Comment