Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Tumbling Tumbleweeds

Tumbling Tumbleweeds is a 1935 Gene Autry western. "Gabby" Hayes is also in this. It's directed by Joseph Kane and written by Ford Beebe. The film is less than an hour long and is important -and worth watching. It's Gene Autry's first film with Republic Pictures and it's the first of the "singing cowboy" movies. Definitely historically significant as well as enjoyable.

The film shows up every once in a while on Youtube, but it isn't there now. I also can't find a trailer. Here's one of the songs from the movie:



DVD Talk calls it one of Autry's best and "a must-have for anyone that's a fan of classical Hollywood cinema, especially fans of movie Westerns" and says
Tumbling Tumbleweeds was a bona fide phenomenon in rural America; its influence cannot be overstated. It remains one of the most profitable movies ever: it cost just $12,500 (a pittance even by 1935 standards) but reportedly grossed around $1 million. Watching the film even today it's easy to see why.

7 comments:

  1. Saturdays were always old western days with my mom growing up. Makes me smile seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturdays were always old western days with my mom growing up. Makes me smile seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to go back to some of these old ones :)

      Delete
  3. I've never even heard of this movie, but I do remember hearing the song "Tumbling Tumbleweeds." You found a great one, even if it is no longer available for us mere mortals to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does come and go, so I'm sure it'll be back. It's fun to see the first example of a type :)

      Delete
  4. I've see the film lots of times over the years. Now the tune is going to be with me all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest an alternative ear-worm, but it might be worse lol

      Delete