Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Miracle on 34th Street is a 1947 movie starring Maureen O'Hara, Natalie Wood, Edmund Gwenn, William Frawley, Gene Lockhart and Jack Albertson.

I guess I had just gotten tired of this one after years of annual viewings, but seeing it again after several years away from it was fun. I remember now all the things I liked about it back when it was fresher to me, and I'm glad The Daughter suggested it tonight.

The New York Times review calls it "the freshest little picture in a long time, and maybe even the best comedy of this year."

The BBC says
this is a clever and deeply original story, that remains true and confident in direction, while delivering considerable charm all the while.

In reviewing one of the remakes Roger Ebert says
There will never really be a movie to replace the 1947 "Miracle on 34th Street," nor a performance to replace Edmund Gwenn's

trailer:



"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to."

No comments:

Post a Comment