Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Full Cupboard of Life

The 5th book in Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, The Full Cupboard of Life does not disappoint. The mainstay characters continue to develop and the happenings in their community are varied and interesting. I find myself laughing out loud as I read these books.

I have a special appreciation for books that I, as a woman in middle-age, can enjoy reading and know that my mother and child will enjoy when I finish. I appreciate shared experiences and books held in common. I appreciate enjoyable experiences that can be shared across generations.

from the back of the book:

In the fifth book in the series, traditionally built, eminently sensible Precious Ramotswe continues her enterprise at the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency in Botswana, a country that is indeed fortunate.

Still engaged to the estimable Mr J.L.B. Matekoni, Mma Ramotswe understands that he has other concerns, especially a hair-raising request from the ever persuasive Mma Potokwane, matron of the orphan farm. Besides Mma Ramotswe herself has weighty matters on her mind. She has been approached by a wealthy lady to check up on the intentions of several suitors. This may be a difficult case, but it's just the kind of problem Mma Ramotswe likes and she is, as we know, a very intuitive lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment