Saturday, April 23, 2022

Ode: Intimations of Immortality

Arthur John Elsley
The Joy Of Spring, 1911

Ode: Intimations of Immortality has 11 stanzas in 3 movements. You can read it in its entirety here and here. It begins:
There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
The earth, and every common sight,
To me did seem
Apparelled in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness of a dream.
It is not now as it hath been of yore;—
Turn wheresoe'er I may,
By night or day.
The things which I have seen I now can see no more.
Listen to it here:



The author William Wordsworth died on this date in 1850 of pleurisy at the age of 80. I'm not much for poetry, but this strikes me as especially apt for springtime contemplation.

7 comments:

  1. ...the joy of spring 2022 has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely poem and a lovely painting you used to illustrate it. Have a wonderful start to your weekend Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is a circle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem. And the painting you showed to illustrate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful poem, I love Wordsworth. Have a good, new week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Studied him in high school. This poem fits the painting and definitely springtime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful poem. I have always liked reading Wordsworth. Your painting you chose goes nicely with it, too.

    ReplyDelete