Sunday, January 14, 2018

Village Creek State Park


We took a little vacation to Village Creek State Park, about an hour west of Memphis, and had a wonderful time. The picture above is of the exterior of the cozy cabin.

Here's the view from the back:



Inside is comfortable:


It was January, but the weather was warmer than you might think. Highs in the upper 50s to mid 60s made hiking quite pleasant. We also enjoyed time in the cabin.




There's a little Discovery Room up at the Visitor Center:







I had never been to this state park, though my family camped at nearby Crowley's Ridge when I was a child. Mosquitoes would keep me from ever vacationing in this area when those insects are active, but the autumn color would be glorious and the winter weather made for a quiet and undisturbed vacation.

There are several trails here that begin at the Visitor Center, and I walked the Arboretum Trail before we even checked out the cabin.





Definitely a lovely place to spend time in nature.

9 comments:

  1. That looks like a great place to have a winter getaway. And not even cold temperatures! Getting out for some walks in those mild temperatures would be perfect in my mind. (And the visitor's center is a bonus!) No crowds either! Happy weekend. Do you still have any snow? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow has melted some where the sun hits it, but the patio is protected and still snowy. Many churches have cancelled services. I haven't been out, but the street I can see from my place still has snow/ice. They're predicting more Tuesday, but I don't believe it'll be a lot. And the high next Sunday is predicted to be 60 lol. The saying here in Memphis is "Don't like the weather? Wait a minute" ;)

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous place for a winter getaway. It looked both appealing and relaxing. I could walk that trail, too. No steep climbs and the pathway looked very doable.

    The Trail of Tears is a true tragedy we brought on the Native Americans. We certainly have some dark histories, don't we? I was so glad to see the Trail and the Little Rock connection, too. Thanks for taking us with you on this expedition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember an Arkansas vacation as a child that featured the Trail of Tears. I was horrified :( It's good for me to walk these trails in remembrance and sorrow.

      This particular trail was short and easy but not paved. The husband didn't do it.

      Delete
  3. What a great getaway! Fall and winter being actually bug free is a big plus. To me the woods are great all year round. Sweet, comfortable cabin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves building a fire, so the wood-burning fireplace and cool weather are perfect for him :)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful place! It looks like the perfect getaway being so close to nature and the beautiful scenery. What a lovely place for walking and enjoying the peace and quiet 😁. The cabin looks fab too, so glad you have a nice time! Have a great new week! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only being an hour from home was also a plus :) Driving just ain't our favorite thing any more. We had a perfect time away :)

      They're predicting more snow!

      Delete
  5. How cozy! I love how inviting the cabin looks. The scenery is gorgeous.
    Glad you had a good time:)

    ReplyDelete