Tuesday, October 13, 2015

One Wonderful Sunday


One Wonderful Sunday is a 1947 Akira Kurosawa film. I always enjoy Kurosawa's movies, and this one is no exception. This story is of one day in the lives of a young engaged couple in post-war Japan. They have one day each week to spend together. He lives in a room in the apartment of a friend, and she lives with her sister and her extended family. They cannot afford to marry. Their dream is to someday open a coffee shop, which they plan to name the Hyacinth Cafe, and serve good coffee and pastries at reasonable prices. Theirs is a beautiful, if sometimes sad, story. I enjoyed sharing their day.

The picture at the top of the post is of our young couple in shock over how they have been over-charged at this cafe.

I liked the use of Schubert's Unfinished Symphony throughout the film. It comes into the plot several times, and brings a lot to the emotional impact the movie has.

I guarantee if you watch this film you will genuinely care about this young couple. You will cry with them in their despair at ever having the resources to marry, and you will feel their joy as they share their hopes and dreams for their future. I did.

Here's a short clip with subtitles:



The New York Times calls it "an essential work in a great career." Forgotten Classics of Yesteryear says it "stands as a testament of hope for those who must bear the full brunt of the transition. The times may be harsh, but the flowers and music will always be there for those who try and look." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 86%.

Please join in the weekly gathering at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog where we share drink-related posts and vist with each other.

16 comments:

  1. This sounds like a film I would like to see. Off to watch the clip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good and meaningful film.Have a happy T day, and a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure do have many interesting stories and movies and art to share. Thanks for introducing me to them all. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a film right up my alley........must be off to watch it.
    You always have the best film and music videos.
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds so interesting... i checked Amazon for a DVD of the film, but None there. i will be on the lookout anyway, it is in my mind now.
    thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the clip very much...liked it extra much filmed in the rain!
    "art is for the masses" = Yes!
    Thank you for another great recommendation and Happy T Day
    oxo
    p.s. Thanks too for your nice comment on my Outer Banks post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would like that film!
    Happy T-Day
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bitter-sweet scene, I feel their frustration. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love old B&W films. I hadn't heard of that one. It sounds like something I would enjoy.Thanks for sharing that.
    Also thank you for visiting me earlier.
    Have a good week,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will look at the clip tomorrow on a bigger screen -it sounds like something I enjoy! Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry I am so late visiting. I didn't think I'd be THIS late, though. I loved the look on the girl's face when she saw that bill. And I loved the clip you showed, too. It looks like I would really enjoy this, because I could feel the frustration and despair. Thank you so much for sharing this with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always share such interesting info. I think I would enjoy watching this one! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a good movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Also, I got the chance to watch the Toulouse-Lautrec bio that you recommended a few weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for that recommendation as well.

    Hope you're having a good T Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good, but I can't read the subtitles as they are also in a foreign language--Spanish? LOL!
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must be universal that young people don't have enough money to do what they'd like...my parents said they 'didn't have two nickels to rub together' but they got married anyway and they've been married 60 years! it's been a good life for them...makes me think that 'waiting until the right moment' might mean it will never come...? love old movies, though. thanks for the tip! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete