Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Brief Encounter

Brief Encounter is a 1945 film directed by David Lean. It stars Celia Johnson (also in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie); Trevor Howard (an actor from 1934-1988 and who was in a wide variety of films including Superman and Gandhi); Stanley Holloway (an actor from 1910- 1980); Joyce Carey (active from the age of 18 until into her 90s); Alfie Bass (who was in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and who played Mr. Goldberg in the TV series Are You Being Served?); and Irene Handl (who was also in Spellbound and who authored 2 novels).

A man and a woman happily married to other people meet by chance at a railway station, and then they meet again.

via Daily Motion:



The Guardian calls it "the best romantic film of all time" and says, "it is so well made, because Laura's voiceover narration is truly anguished and dreamy, because the music suckers all of us, and because Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard are perfect." FilmReference.com calls it "the most characteristic and perfect British film of all time" and says, "Life is not simple and the greatness of the film lies in its awareness of this complexity".

The reviewer at Roger Ebert's site says, "It's refreshing to find a classic romance without meet-cutes and pathetic attempts to be clever". TCM has information. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 88%.

6 comments:

  1. I love watching old movies and could have used this last week when I was bedridden ..although I probably would have slept through it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a good one. I'm finding a lot of good movies in the book 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

      Delete
  2. It's been awhile since I couldn't get your movie trailers or movie links to play, but today's wouldn't. Odd, because yesterday's is still showing strong on my computer screen. Maybe if I reboot, it will show properly, but for now, all I can say is, since I like British films, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get videos from Youtube, but this one is from Daily Motion. Maybe the video would work better for you if you watched it from their page: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zn4se_brief-encounter_shortfilms . I like British films, too.

      Delete
    2. Love this film. Ripped me apart the first time I saw it. So sad, and who hasn´t had at least a tiny bit of this in their lives? A bit of "what if" when one meets a person that it also might have worked with. I like the actors, too, they look like regular people.

      Delete
    3. The scenes where she's with her family are heartbreaking. This is definitely re-watchable.

      Delete