Friday, November 16, 2012

Gingko Trees


I was so pleased there was a Gingko Tree on the property when we bought here. I've loved them since I was a little girl but had never lived anywhere where there was one on the lot. Except for college; I'd forgotten there was one on the campus. They are beautiful, especially in the Fall. I haven't noticed an abundance of them here in Memphis, but there are some. I know there is one on the University of Memphis campus, I think there is one at the Dixon arboretum, there is one at Overton Park somewhere, one at Elmwood Cemetery, seems like I remember one at Memphis Memorial Park Cemetery, surely there's one at the Botanic Gardens/Audubon Park... I don't have much luck finding arboretum brochures online.


Their leaves have an unusual shape. When they turn their stunning yellow in the Fall they make such a bright splash of color.

from the Wikipedia entry:
The ginkgo is classified in its own division, the Ginkgophyta, comprising the single class Ginkgoopsida, order Ginkgoales, family Ginkgoaceae, genus Ginkgo and is the only extant species within this group. It is one of the best-known examples of a living fossil, because Ginkgoales other than G. biloba are not known from the fossil record after the Pliocene.

No comments:

Post a Comment