Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cries and Whispers

Cries and Whispers is a 1972 Ingmar Bergman film. It stars Harriet Andersson, Ingrid Thulin, Liv Ullmann, Erland Josephson and Anders Ek. I know Bergman isn't everybody's cuppa tea, but I keep watching and enjoying the experience. This one is quite disturbing, so I don't guess I can honestly say I enjoyed the experience, but I'm glad I've seen it. It hits some personal notes with me, such as the character with the long-term lung disease (as The Grandmother has) and the sisters' troubled and painful relationships (as my sister and I have always had). This film is filled with hurt, pain, hate and fear.

If you've never seen a Bergman film before, go watch another one of his works. Don't start with this one.

Otherwise, you can see it embedded below from youtube:



Senses of Cinema says,
This is a visually stunning film deeply concerned with the emotional and physical pain of its protagonists. Even more, Cries and Whispers is a highly praised and much admired film, which could possibly be the most accomplished cinematographical work of Bergman’s multi-faceted career.
Spirituality and Practice says it
was the most emotionally affecting film of 1972 and ought to be experienced by everyone who cherishes the tissue of hope that links life and love.
  Roger Ebert opens his review by saying,
"Cries and Whispers" is like no movie I've seen before, and like no movie Ingmar Bergman has made before; although we are all likely to see many films in our lives, there will be few like this one. It is hypnotic, disturbing, frightening.
1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die calls it "One of Ingmar Bergman's most exquisitely executed achievements" and says, "it's clear we are we are witnessing a filmmaker at the peak of his artistry". DVD Talk calls it "a prime example of Bergman at the height of his artistic prowess." DVD Verdict has a mixed review, which is unsurprising since this was that reviewer's first Bergman film. Time Out says, "Bergman's hour remains resolutely that of the wolf." Rotten Tomatoes gives it a score of 89%.

No comments:

Post a Comment