Tuesday, April 01, 2014

April Fools Day


This may be my least favorite day of the year. I truly do hate April Fools' Day! I grew up dreading it not because of the tricks the kids at school would play (I mean how upset can you get over, "Your slip is showing," "There's a spider on you," and such). No, I hated it because my mother took an odd glee in the day. And somehow I always fell for it.

One year she woke me up telling me my favorite cousins had come during the night and were sleeping in the living room. I was so excited! I rushed to the living room to the tune of laughter and "April Fool!"

Every year she got me.

Once after I married, in the days before cell phones, she called me to tell me she had tried to drive up to see us but had gotten lost on the way. At the time, we lived off of a road that was off of a rural 2-lane highway. We lived way out in the middle of nowhere, and getting lost out there would not have been hard to do. Mother said she had found a pay phone but had no idea where she was. Lost and confused, she said she had used her last coin to call me and didn't see any sign of people and no sign of civilization other than the pay phone she was using. I was headed out the door in tears to look for her before she finally said, "April Fool". She had never left her house.

I just never learned! I'm a bit slow on the uptake, ya think?

That was the year I told her I would never again see or talk to her in person or on the phone on that day. She was honestly dumbfounded -for her it was just funny little gags- but I had reached the point where I didn't want to play that game any more. I prefer jokes that we share. She had a good sense of humor, but on this type of joke we were definitely at odds.

One of the pacts The Husband and I made early on was No April Fool Jokes Of Any Kind. Call me a fuddy-duddy stick-in-the-mud if you will, but we still abide by it.

And so, on this day I offer you a soothing cup of chamomile tea and nothing else. No tricks, no jokes, no stress, no nothing except that soothing cuppa. I'm hiding from the jokesters today, Folks; and my tea and I are in a secure, undisclosed location. Shhhhh

Enjoy your beverage -with or without tricks as suits you best- in peace with Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T(ea) Tuesday linky.

22 comments:

  1. I'm not much for jokes of this kind either and have never really been at the end of them as you have. Enjoy your tea, I won't tell where you are hiding out, LOL!

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx! :) it'll all be over soon. [hides under blanket]

      Delete
  2. It's been years since someone has played an April Fool's joke on me, but I'm quite gullible, so I've fallen for them as well. Although I'm not much for chamomile, I'll share a cup with you today, because the intended joke isn't usually as fun as people believe it is. Thanks for sharing this insight, and your lovely cup of tea this April Fool's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've tried to explain that april fools jokes are a lot less funny when not played between equals. kids with each other? fine. parents on their children? much less fun :/ some people love them, tho, so i just let them have the day.

      Delete
  3. Oh my...I so identify! I am so gullible, I will fall for the gag every time... loved your statement about being in an 'undisclosed' place with your tea today! glad you and hubby came to that agreement early on...makes life much easier all around! beautiful tea cup and saucer, by the way...happy T day. We will just ignore the April Fool 'thang' shall we? !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i wasn't a sucker for the tricks from anybody else, but somehow i never learned about mother. she must've found me irresistible on the day lol. i love that cup/saucer. they had a pink one, too, and i've regretted not picking it up when i got the blue one.

      Delete
  4. I adore your cup and saucer and Chamomile tea always makes me think of Peter Rabbit :)...
    jokes are definitely not for everyone...I can understand your dismay with them
    it's not a day I put too much stock in actually
    Happy T Day to you...no kidding :)
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was surprised that i liked chamomile tea when i first tried it, since peter rabbit had it as icky medicine. i find it soothing, tho. happy t day to you, too :)

      Delete
  5. With the kind of jokes you've endured it's no wonder you shun this day-I don't blame you one bit. Now, I will on occasion play a little joke but I make sure it's not hurtful or won't distress anyone. Enjoy a quiet jokeless day with your beautiful cup of chamomile. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx! she loved it, tho lol i'm planning a quiet jokeless day, as you say :)

      Delete
  6. Your mom had quite a sense of humor!! I'm not very good at thinking up those tricks...and esp keeping a straight face trying to pull one off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, she was a card! lol

      Delete
    2. I'm not one for practical jokes either. As kids, my sister and I played the same one on our father every year--swapped out the sugar for salt. Whether Mom told him or not I don't know, but he always pretended his coffee was full of salt. Happy T Day!

      Delete
    3. so funny lol family stories bring back fond memories :)

      Delete
  7. WOW, I can't believe she did all these jokes on you. I'm so sorry you had to go thru that. I've had a couple dumb harmless ones done to me but that was years ago. I don't much like this holiday either, don't see the point in it.

    I forgot to mention this on my post today but it is actually my husband and mines anniversary today. I am not kidding you either, the only date we could get for the church and reception place was this April 1st, 1995. Yep, 19 years ago today we got married, YAY!! We weren't sure if we should or not but figured what the heck and my husband never forgets our anniversary either.
    I hope this will give you something to smile about from now on April 1st., I think that's why we kinda forget now that it's April Fools day, we just think of it as our anniversary.
    Hope you had a good day in hiding. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy anniversary! :) if i'd been a bit brighter about the whole thing and not fallen for it every single time, it would've been better. i never learned! lol

      Delete
  8. The day is almost over and no one got an April Fool's joke on me, nor did I pull one. We did that as kids but guess it's never been much a part of my adult life. My sister and I took my mom to a doctor visit today and ended up having to wait two hours before we were called back. Now that felt like an April fools joke but sadly, it was for real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope your mom got a good report. jokes and doctor visits don't mix! sadly, long waits seem to be standard

      Delete
  9. Happy T-Day (but not April Fool's Day)!
    I too am a fuddy-dud! I had an office mate who totally loves this day! After a couple of them, I made it very clear to her to leave me out of her practical jokes. Thank goodness she did. Glad you are secured today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm glad your workmate abided by your wishes. it's safer to hide! :)

      Delete
  10. When jokes are one sided, it is never fun for the victim. I'm not much on april fool's either, but I love your cup and saucer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mother never got it when i tried to explain that. and i never got it when she explained herself on the day. lol that day was just a loss for us in our relationship. well, 1 day every 365 is not too shabby, i guess :)

      Delete