Sunday, March 16, 2008

Deadlock

Deadlock by Sara Paretsky is her second mystery featuring V. I. Warshawski, a private investigator.

from the back of the book:

When Chicago Black Hawks hockey legend Boom Boom Warshawski slips off a wharf and drowns in Lake Michigan, his private-eye cousin questions the accidental death report and rumors of suicide. Armed with a bottle of Black Label and a Smith & Wesson, V. I. follows a trail of violence and corruption to the center of the Windy City's powerful shipping industry. Dodging elaborate attempts on her life with characteristic grit and humor, the one-of-a-kind detective wends her way through a maze of grain elevators and thousand-ton freighters, ruthless businessmen and gorgeous ballerinas, to ferret out Boom Boom's killers before they phase her out of the picture - permanently.


This is another I liked but not enough to look for others in the series. It is on the list of 100 favorite mysteries of the century according to The Independent Mystery Booksellers Association. There is a page of the book that discusses the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, and I particularly noted that.

I think I'm just burned out on mysteries. I think I'll wait awhile before I read another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment