Sunday, September 18, 2016

King Kong (2005)

King Kong is the 2005 Peter Jackson remake of the 1933 classic. It's fun to watch, but slow. One might even call it bloated. Every scene is good, but every scene is several minutes too long. I think this movie might've been more enjoyable for me if it had been 2 hours long instead of 3 hours and 8 minutes. I seem to be alone in that view, though, as most reviews are filled with glowing praise.

trailer:



Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 84% but an audience rating of just 50%.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think sometimes having a totally impartial person come in to edit might be a good idea. This is one of those films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, an editor who could've taken a stand with the director would've been good. It's telling that the critics loved it but the audience rating at Rotten Tomatoes is just 50%. I'm betting that assessment will worsen through time.

      Delete
  2. I remember seeing this film on TV, and with all the commercials, it seemed to take FOREVER and a day to just get to New York, even though I fast forwarded through the commercials. I'm glad I wasn't alone in my thinking. Thanks for your take on this film, one I have actually seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just re-watch the original if I get an urge to see Kong again ;)

      Delete
  3. I saw this and yes, I agree. Now watching the trailer--even that is too long--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete