Saturday, January 02, 2016

Dr. Mabuse

Dr. Mabuse (usually divided into parts 1 and 2 due to its 4-hour run time) is a 1922 silent German film directed by Fritz Lang. It is based on novels written by Norbert Jacques. The title character is a criminal mastermind/con artist/hypnotist/master of disguise/psychoanalyst who is involved in counterfeiting and gambling operations in Berlin.

The movies are available online. Part 1:



part 2:


DVD Journal says, "Even if this is your first exposure to the German silent cinema, Dr. Mabuse dishes up a fine paperback potboiler of a story filmed with a sense of style and craft that, like Dr. Mabuse himself, is often hypnotic." DVD Talk calls it "a special treat for people who love movies". Slant Magazine gives it 3 out of 5 stars, and likes the sequel better. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 92%.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I wouldn't want this guy in my mind! What struck me was if you leave out the M in his name, it has ABUSE written all over it! I do agree it is a good film.

    I wanted also to answer your question about Google Friends Connect (GFC). What Google is saying is, if you are not on Google, after Jan 11, you will NOT be allowed to follow or comment on any Google blog. Period! From what I understand, GFC is NOT going away, but you have to be a member of the google clan to leave a comment or follow a google/blogspot blog. You personally don't have to worry because you are on blogspot which is now owned by Google. But say you were on WordPress or Yahoo and had a blog through them. You would NOT be allowed to follow any Blogger blog or even leave comments until you became a "MEMBER" of google. It doesn't mean you have to bring your blog to google, but if you want to leave comments on a google blog, you have to get a google account.

    Nothing is lost by not using GFC, but it's the way many, many web sites judge you. For example, I wanted to become a Deco Arts artist, and didn't make the grade. One of the questions was how many GFC I have. So, they judged me in part by that number. God only knows how many people "follow" my blog who aren't on GFC, but they don't count. And no, I am not on GFC. I don't use e-mail to get updates, instead, I use my left sidebar to see updates of the people I want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about where the Mabuse name might come from. I bet that'd be interesting to look into.

      I keep looking, but I'm still not finding anything that says people not on google won't be able to follow blogger blogs using some method other than Google Friend Connect, and I can't find anything that says a google account will be required to post comments on blogger blogs. I'm still looking.

      Delete