Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Dead Zone

The Dead Zone is a 1983 Cronenberg horror film about a man (played by Christopher Walken) who wakes up after 5 years in a coma to discover he has psychic abilities. It also stars Tom Skerritt, Colleen Dewhurst, and Martin Sheen. It's based on the Stephen King novel by the same name, which I haven't read. This isn't the kind of horror movie that has gore or monsters but more like a science fiction concept. If you knew the future and could change it, would you? Should you?

trailer:



Roger Ebert gives it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars and opens the review with this:
"The Dead Zone" does what only a good supernatural thriller can do: It makes us forget it is supernatural. Like "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Exorcist," it tells its story so strongly through the lives of sympathetic, believable people that we not only forgive the gimmicks, we accept them. There is pathos in what happens to the Christopher Walken character in this movie and that pathos would never be felt if we didn't buy the movie's premise.
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 90%.

6 comments:

  1. I remember this film. Stephen King always come up with some fascinating ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very popular for adaptations, too.

      Delete
  2. I think they made a TV series from the Stephen King book starring Anthony Michael Hall. I never saw the movie, but I really liked the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watched the tv show. Googling, I see it lasted 6 seasons, so I'm surprised I've never seen any of them.

      Delete
  3. Love Christopher Walken and this was one of the good Stephen King stories. (Obviously I prefer his stories with just people and no monsters--even though several of those leave you hanging, too.) I saw most of the later TV series, too, and it was pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree you can't go wrong with Walken. I've never read the story or seen the tv series. I may need to check it out since you and Elizabeth both liked it.

      Delete