Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Monsieur Pamplemousse Afloat



Monsieur Pamplemousse Afloat (1999) is one of the books in a mystery series for adults by Michael Bond, who is much better known as the author of the Paddington Bear books. Bond will turn 91 the 13th of this month and is still writing. I'm working my way through this series as I come across them, and I came across several under my Christmas tree. (Thank you to The Husband.) They are cozy mysteries, and the humor is light and fun and sometimes just a bit risqué. Delightful reading. This is #11.

from the back of the book:
When the Director of Le Guide offers up a holiday on the Canal de Bourgogne, Monsieur Pamplemousse is unaware that there are strings attached -several, in fact. Things are not quite as peaceful as they seem among the vineyards of Burgundy, and family rivalries and resentments from long-past culminate in a series of strange occurrences.

Monsieur Pamplemousse , accompanied of course by his faithful bloodhound Pommes Frites, finds himself caught up in the trouble. Before the holiday is over the crime-solving duo will have to cope with the perils of portholes, a dead parrot, missing undergarments, the advances of a Marilyn Monroe look-alike and an assassin disguised as a nun...
Papa Noel makes an appearance, even though the book takes place in the summertime.

Eurocrime has a positive review.

I have also read the following others from this series:

#2 Monsieur Pamplemousse and the Secret Mission
#6 Monsieur Pamplemousse Investigates
#8 Monsieur Pamplemousse Stands Firm
#14 Monsieur Pamplemousse Hits the Headlines

4 comments:

  1. I love a good cozy mystery, and will look for this book the next time I'm at the library. It sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be hard to find. I happened across a few in a used book store. I never see them new, and my husband had to order them for me for Christmas. I've never looked for them in a library, but if they don't have them maybe there's an inter-library loan system or something and they can get one for you. I get a kick out of them.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I've never heard of this series. I need to check them out. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd always thought of him as a children's author. I stumbled across this series by happenstance, but I'm glad I did.

      Delete