Saturday, January 07, 2017

Book Challenges


I didn't do any formal reading challenges last year, but this year I'm going to plan some of my reading around specific goals. I have three particular challenges in mind:
  1. I'll read twelve from my TBR shelves.
  2. I'll read six books by Russian authors or about Russian history or politics (because it seems Russia will be having an unprecedented influence on our country for a while.
  3. I'll read six books from the NPR best books list.
I'll continue to keep reading my favorite authors, books from series I like, and random books that leap off the bookstore shelves begging me to take them home.

1. TBR Challenge:

Consequences by Penelope Lively
State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
The High Window by Raymond Chandler
Railsea by China Mieville
Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro
Question of Belief by Donna Leon
The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine
The Lewis Man
Little Bee

2. Russian authors:
Fables, by Ivan Krylov
A Sportsman's Sketches by Ivan Turgenev
First Love by Ivan Turgenev
The Bronze Horseman by Alexander Pushkin
A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov
Eugene Onegin

3. NPR best books list

Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift
Hunters in the Dark by Lawrence Osborne
My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
Reputations by Juan Gabriel Vasquez
Ways to Disappear by Idra Novey
The Year of the Runaways

4 comments:

  1. You are ambitious. I applaud you for that. I looked over your lists, and the one I really liked was the NPR one. I only read 3 of the books on that list last year, and I have 2 sitting on my nightstand. But that list has some great sounding books on it. I think I will check back and see what I might have missed. As they say-so many books, so little time. :) Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fast reader ;) I don't think I've read a single book on that NPR list. I'm not sure where to start with it. There are so _many_!

      Delete
  2. What a great goal list! I would have almost all of these to read, that's for sure. Didn't recognize many at all. That's exciting, though. Sadly I do a lot more watching than I do reading anymore. Be looking forward to your reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I can find them used lol. That'd be an expensive list to buy new.

      Delete