Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Streetcar Named Desire

I had never seen this movie, though I'd seen bits and pieces of it on tv through the years. I took it to The Grandmother's, who also hadn't seen it. She was surprised Vivien Leigh had been in it when she saw her name in the end credits; she hadn't recognized her. A Streetcar Named Desire also stars Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter and Karl Malden. It is directed by Elia Kazan. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to see this. I think it would've made a great piece to explore as part of the high school curriculum.

trailer:


Roger Ebert considers it one of the greats and says this of Brando's performance:
you could make a good case that no performance had more influence on modern film acting styles than Brando's work as Stanley Kowalski, Tennessee Williams' rough, smelly, sexually charged hero

No comments:

Post a Comment