Saturday, February 07, 2009

R.I.P. James Whitmore


I see from Edward Copeland on Film that James Whitmore has died. He died of lung cancer yesterday.

Obits:
The Cinemated Man has a video. You can see that entire Twilight Zone episode in 7 parts linked here. I remember seeing it on TV, though not in its first run, and knowing it was about the saddest thing I'd ever seen.

Cinematical:
My personal, sentimental favorite remains Them! (1954), the greatest giant ant movie ever made. Whitmore played a New Mexican police Sergeant who finds a little girl wandering in the desert, and soon finds himself courageously facing down nature gone amuck.

(Them! can be seen online.)

Variety notes his political affiliation:
He recently lent his name to the Barack Obama campaign, appearing at several fundraising events.

BBC News:
James Whitmore, a veteran character actor who was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of President Harry Truman, has died aged 87.

CNN
MSNBC
E Online
SFScope
The Vault of Horror

2/27/2009: Arbogast on Film has an article, not an obituary:
I want to talk about one film role, perhaps the film role in Whitmore's long and respected CV, the one that most people will probably remember above all others. I speak of course of his flinty turn as police sergeant Ben Peterson in Warner Brothers' giant ant rally THEM! (1954). Even more specifically, I speak of one scene in particular in that classic big bug movie - Ben Peterson's final scene, his death scene.
The movie Them! can be seen online here. That particular scene begins at 1:21:15.

No comments:

Post a Comment