Monday, January 02, 2017

More Grocery Wine

A while back I posted about the new Tennessee law allowing wine in grocery stores. I've been testing the waters in the wine aisles, and I had tried a few since I last posted on the topic and thought I'd update. I did a lot of research online, and Lula Harp recommended a phone app called Vivino. I drink maybe half a glass with supper many evenings, so it takes a while to go through each bottle. I have found several more I like. I know nothing about wine or wine reviewing, so really all I can say is, "I like this one. I wouldn't say "no" to more of it," or "Yuck."

The ones from the first post:


Of those, I liked the Liberty School Cabernet and Nobel Vines Merlot.

The ones I've tried since then are 14 Hands Merlot:


which I like but not as much as the Noble Vines,

and these 3:


Layer Cake Pinot Noir, which I don't like; Geyser Peak Sauvignon Blanc, which is fine but I'll keep looking; and Ravenswood Zinfandel, which I'm not going to drink more of.

Then there were these:


The Gascon Malbec, which was fine, but I'll try another Malbec next time; the Gerard Bertrand Languedoc Syrah, also perfectly drinkable, but which I won't buy again; and Dreaming Tree Cabernet Sauvignon, which I've already bought more of. I may even like that last one better than the Noble Vines Cabernet which had been my favorite to this point.

This is a fun little project. Who knows? I may become a regular wine drinker. Of course, I may go back to water and iced tea once the novelty wears off.

Please share your choice of beverage with the bloggers over at the T Tuesday gathering hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth at the Altered Book Lover blog.

16 comments:

  1. I am like you and know nothing about wine. I DO know I like a dessert wine, so Merlot is on the opposite end of my desire for wine. I really like your review, though, and think you have taken this test to heart. Thanks for sharing your wine and your thoughts on these with us for T this soon-to-be Tuesday.

    You asked if I could call my new setup "toys." Maybe once all the bugs are worked out, I'll think of everything as toys. Right now, everything is a bit of a pain. I look forward to that day, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wines look great. We have a lot of nice wines here In Germany, too. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. i´m not a Connaisseur when it Comes to wine, but i like a glass now and then. dry only, and i´ve heard the good ones start at 12%... but i´m really not an expert.
    happy t-day and a wonderful 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually buy wine because I like the label and then if I like the taste, I'll buy it again. Like you, I'm no expert by any means. I don't drink wine very often but its fun to look at labels. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't realized you couldn't buy wine in the supermarket before. In Europe the wine and beer isles are usually the largest, and well known supermarkets are in competition with each other to have the best wines. They have their buyers travelling the world to get good wines, and being large supermarkets they have good buying power.
    I am no expert either but have been drinking wine all of my adult life. As I have live in different countries, I have got used to looking at the type of grape, rather than the brand. In red I look out for anything with Syrah in it. In white I like Verdejo or Verdicchio or vinho verde. Of course Pinot Blanc and Sauvignon blanc are great. Ha, you can tell I am a white winde drinker....
    Happy New Year and happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding these wines. We finally have a wine section at Wegmans Grocery Stores but I haven't looked at their selection. I think wine tasting is fun and have done it a few times with hubby by choosing 3 bottles of the same grape, but we generally have done only the reds. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed reading your reviews. The only one I'm familiar with is the Ravenswood Zin which you didn't like. We have visited the Ravenswood winery and while it was fun to visit their wines are not my most favorite. They are cheap at Trader Joe's and sometimes even Target though. Glad your State is letting you get wines in the grocery stores now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know about the wine buying restrictions either, something we take for granted here in the UK.
    My favourite wines are white and usually German, but, I think, its all in what you like to drink and taste.
    Happy T day.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wine is a world onto its own isn't it.
    I confess I sometimes try a bottle of wine because of the label.
    Virginia has wine in the grocery store and it is handy.
    We also have the big chain store called Total Beverage.
    Their selection of wine and beer is dazzling.
    Happy First T Day of 2017.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always amazed by the different restrictions regarding alcohol in different countries, how nice that you get a wider choice of wines now they are readily available in your stores :-). Sounds like a great little project to me, it must be so much fun to experiment and try new wines. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We discovered 14 Hands Merlot when we visited TX in Novemner and loved it. We brought a couple of bottles back to Mexico with us. Next trip, we'll be looking for Noble Vines.

    Alcohol is available in Mexican supermarkets as well as liquor stores, but the selections and prices can't compare to the wonderful wine buys in the U.S.

    Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Divers i like the wine aisle because i like to look at all the labels and the names they come up with but i'am not a fan of wine... now if you put bubbles in it and call it champagne i like it a little better but not much... :) Happy happy first T day of 2017!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a wine drinker (had to stop because of medication) but I am fascinated by the labels! Happy T Day and Happy New Year! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know absolutely nothing about wines, and only look at the shapes and colors of the bottles! ;) Happy T Day, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. In Vino veritas!
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so late wishing you happy T day for last week. Thanks for visiting me and your lovely comments. Enjoy your wine!
    Hugs
    Cazzy

    ReplyDelete