Monday, November 30, 2009

Hakuho Wins Kyushu Grand Sumo Tournament



Hakuho wins again!

from The Japan Times:
FUKUOKA (Kyodo) With a 12th championship title already in the bag, Hakuho exacted swift revenge over Asashoryu on Sunday to wrap up the Kyushu Grand Sumo Tournament with a perfect 15-0 record.

and from another article at The Japan Times:
With the presentation of the Emperor's Cup to yokozuna Hakuho on Sunday evening Nov. 29, the first decade of sumo in the 21st century came to a thundering close.
...
However, what promised to be a great record-breaking basho all but fizzled out once yokozuna Asashoryu went on a four-day losing streak toward the end,

The Jakarta Globe reports:
Fukuoka, Japan. Mongolian grand champion Hakuho wrapped up his 12th Emperor’s Cup victory on Sunday by beating countryman and fellow yokozuna Asashoryu at the Kyushu Grand Sumo Tournament.


I'll post a video when I find the one I'm looking for. Ah, here we go:


The photo at the top of the page is by user Arcimboldo from Wikipedia.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:53 PM

    Funny story - I was in middle school when the whole "Japan's Economy Rules - Ours Sucks & We Will All Be Speaking Japanese By the Year 2000" was taking place back in the 1980's. Well, one of my teachers decided to show us the difference between a sumo wrestling match & a WWE (then-WWF) wrestling match & how the Japanese were so much more cultured & disciplined then us lousy Americans & all of that. We even had to write an essay about it.

    If I knew then what I knew now I would've absolutely roasted my teacher alive with a counter-response. Yes, I probably would've been suspended but it would've been nice to have dropped that teacher down more then just a few pegs.

    Memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sumo and WWF wrestling aren't comparable activities, so she was off on the wrong foot from the get-go.

    Interestingly, the big winners in Sumo now seem to be Chinese. I wonder what she would make of that.

    ReplyDelete