Monday, August 13, 2018

Two Eyes, Twelve Hands


Two Eyes, Twelve Hands is a 1957 award-winning Hindi film about a prison guard who takes six murderers from the prison where he works and attempts to rehabilitate them. His superior has agreed to the experiment, but if he fails everything he has will be forfeit to the state. This is an inspiring story of faith in human nature, and it's worth watching if just for the music.

You can watch it online with English subtitles at this link. I can't find clips or a trailer to embed.

The Hindustan Times calls it "An inspirational film endorsing prison reform and propounding the philosophy that even the most hardened, seemingly soul dead criminal can be softened, rectified, amended, and thus rehabilitated." Prison Movies calls it "a blithely optimistic film".

6 comments:

  1. There were certainly a great deal of times I thought this experiment would fail. There were plenty of detractors and nay-sayers, too. I wonder what would happen if this experiment were performed today in the states. I doubt the same outcome would exist. Great film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to imagine this translated into present-day America. I'm so glad you liked the film :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. And I loved the music :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the type of movie I need to see--we all need to see. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy this, even though it sounded like it'd be a message movie. It didn't turn out to be like that, and I'm so glad I gave it a shot.

      Delete