Sunday, May 06, 2018

Whirlpool

Whirlpool is a 1949 film noir directed by Otto Preminger and starring Gene Tierney, Richard Conte, and José Ferrer. Jose Ferrer is a hypnotist who helps Gene Tierney overcome her kleptomania. But what is he really up to, and can we trust her devoted psychoanalyst husband to get to the bottom of it?

via Youtube:


The New York Times has a negative review but praises Ferrer and Tierney. Variety says it's "a highly entertaining, exciting melodrama that combines the authentic features of hypnosis."

Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 90%. TCM has an overview.

4 comments:

  1. I was nearly ready for bed, but I MUST watch this before I go to sleep. Thanks for the link and the review, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. It's an interesting look at how hypnotism and psychotherapy were viewed at the time. And those actors and director are hard to pass up :)

      Delete
  2. For the time this was quite the movie! I imagine hypnosis would have been quite scary when it was first around. Was pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the type of film I think of somehow when the words "film noir" come up, but there's more variety in that genre than I used to think.

      Delete