Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The Man in Grey

The Man in Grey is a 1943 drama starring Margaret Lockwood, James Mason, Phyllis Calvert, and Stewart Granger. A family history told is flashback. There are grim, stern women and silly girls, and ill-fated romance. But all's well that ends well. Not really my thing, but if you like costume dramas and romance you'll surely like this. Why it was selected as one of the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die is beyond me.

via Youtube:


The New York Times says in a 1945 review, "The British are usually quite able when they make films about their nation's past, but the hands of the artists slipped gravely when they fashioned "The Man in Grey."" BFI Screen Online notes it "emerged to a generally poor critical reception, but it was hard to argue with the box office - it was one of the ten most successful British films of 1943."

6 comments:

  1. I have not seen this one. The closest I have seen of any grey suited movie was The Horse In Grey Flannel Suit (Disney) I do hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time, too. It bears no resemblance to the Disney film ;)

      Delete
  2. I am going to watch this one, because I am half British. If nothing else, I might understand my ancestors better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you liked it. The clothes were beautiful!

      Delete
  3. I don't know why but I tried to start watching it and just kept getting distracted so I never finished it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes things just don't catch my interest. There's so much out there, I generally just move on to the next one.

      Delete