Friday, April 13, 2018

Dixon Gallery Exhibits


It took me long enough -that rain lasted so long, and I just didn't want to go out- but I did manage to see the exhibitions before they closed. The Real Beauty: The Artistic World of Eugenia Errázuriz offered so many beautiful works in several rooms in addition to a helpful timeline that covered an entire wall. The Dixon website describes it:
The Real Beauty: The Artistic World of Eugenia Errázuriz, organized by The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, is the first American museum exhibition centered on the life of this remarkable figure in the history of modern art and design. Addressing the larger subject of the role of South Americans in turn-of-the-century Europe, the exhibition will feature works of art centered around Eugenia's relatives and friends, especially the Subercaseaux, who shared her passion for the arts. In the early 1800s, Eugenia Huici Arguedas de Errázuriz arrived in Europe with her husband, amateur painter José Tomás Errázuriz. Very quickly, the newlywed Errázurizes began making their rounds across Europe, becoming, along with their relatives Amalia and Ramón Subercaseaux, favorites among the cosmopolitan group of artists in turn-of-the-century Europe.
Here's a one-minute preview from a Dixon gallery curator:



Here's a Dixon video on her influence in the field of design:



My favorite from this was Portrait of Madame Errasuriz:


by Ambrose McEvoy

Another exhibition on view when I went was Dixon Dialect, which the website describes:
In the fall of 2017, Susan and John Horseman generously donated twenty-eight works of art by twenty-five American and European artists to the Dixon Gallery and Gardens permanent collection. Dixon Board Chair C. Penn Owen III notes, “The Horseman Gift stands among the most important and impressive acts of collection building in our history.”

...

Julie Pierotti, the Dixon’s Martha R. Robinson Curator, states, “Susan and John Horseman have made a truly transformative gift to the Dixon. This extraordinary collection adds an important perspective and depth to our existing collection—it doubles the number of works by American artists in the Dixon collection; and it more than doubles our collection of works by women artists, allowing us to tell more complete stories about the art of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. We couldn’t be more grateful to the Horsemans for this generous gift.”
Here's a video highlighting one of the paintings:



I was particularly struck on this day by Woman in a Green Dress:


by Richard E. Miller. This was the only image I could find of this, but as I'm only using it as an illustration of my viewing of the exhibit I'm considering it fair use. It's a shame I couldn't find a better quality picture.

The Mallory/Wurtzburger Galleries contained a fiber arts exhibit, the first major museum show of Memphis artist Paula Kovarik. She has a website here, where you can see her work. Just look at this one:


These are videos of the artist in her studio:





You really should go to her website and look at more of her art.

10 comments:

  1. The exhibition looks amazing! I love the Portrait of Madame Errasuriz in her fabulous hat and dress 😀. I wonder what the lady in green is thinking, she looks so beautiful and deep in thought! The textile pieces are stunning too, so much detail in the fabrics used and stitching created - perfect 😁. Thanks so much for sharing your visit to the gallery, I really enjoyed looking at the exhibits and all the links you kindly included. Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love that hat :) I'm glad you enjoyed the exhibits.

      Delete
  2. WOW!! I was impressed. I can see why Sargent was enthralled with Madame Errasuriz. Stunning art and great displays. Lovely works from the new Horseman gift collection, too.


    Of course, I was simply bowled over by Paula Kovarik's fiber art. Stunning and incredible. THANK YOU for sharing this artist (and the others) at the Dixon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you'd notice the fiber arts :) I thought of you while I was there. What people can accomplish with needle and thread always amazes me!

      Delete
  3. Such talent abounds. Both those portraits show the gifts of such talent. I've attended a fabric art show once as my last step mother was a rug hooker & she had some of her works on display. It truly is amazing what people can do with fabric. Our library has a display on on local artists using elements from the natural world, which means they have picked up stuff that most of us would either just walk over or throw on the compost pile. I must ask to take photos so I can share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived for a while in a town with a quilt museum, and the delicate work and artistry were astonishing. It's always interesting when people incorporate natural elements in their designs. I'd love to see photos of the works you see.

      Delete
  4. Wow that looks like you had some really cool exhibits. I have never heard of the South American woman (not going to try to spell that after working all day and then coming home and raking) but those videos were fascinating and interesting perspective to think of the whole Paris art scene when she met John Singer Sargent. I am sure there were so many international artists there who we, no me, uneducated in art history folks wouldn't have heard about. Thanks for sharing your visit. :) And happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that this exhibit included the culture centering on this woman. Fascinating how many connections she had and how much influence!

      Delete
  5. Both ladies are intriguing.
    Fabric art is a whole different world of creativity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What people do with needle and thread amazes me, from small decorative pieces to large practical quilts. Gorgeous art all!

      Delete