Monday, February 05, 2018

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and Meditation


Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who died on this date in 2008, was an influence on me during my young adult years. He introduced Transcendental Meditation, which appealed to me back in the day and served as an introduction to me to meditation outside the Christian tradition.



Here he talks about Transcendental Meditation (1968):



This is an introduction by Bob Roth, explaining what it is, what it isn't, and how to get started:



I went to one of their group introductory sessions decades ago, but the system of meditation taught through this organization has always been more expensive than I was willing or able to commit to. It did spur me to further research into various types of meditation, though, so I credit it as a transforming part of my life.

Nam myoho renge kyo is free:



and I learned about it from The Monkees:



It helps to be open to experiences from a wide variety of sources.

5 comments:

  1. I remember when Transcendental Meditation was all the rage. I was invited to an intro course, too, but like you, I couldn't afford what they wanted for the sessions. It's good to read it helped change your life. And it's nice to know there are so many more resources via the internet now than there were back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first introduction to the idea of meditation as opposed to Christian prayer. Fascinating!

      Delete
  2. It is the second time this day that I get a sign...
    In the morning I got a message from an unknown young man from Kota ( India) a regular student of meditation from Mount Abu Brahmakumaris University on FB even though I nearly never visit or post something there , I just wanted to wish a happy birthday to an online friend of mine,knewing she is there online nearly the whole day - I first thought it was a young man who wants to flirt and make girlfriends online - but he just wished me some nice day and told me that he is a student there on meditation . And now you give me another input. I have read some books of Eckart Tolle recently --
    the universe send me messages....
    no I am not crazy... just mindful!
    Divers - I thank you - NAMASTE !

    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Maybe the anniversary of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's death is bringing some meditation energy into focus :)

      Delete
    2. Let's HOPE so Divers!
      Namaste!

      Delete