Friday, January 19, 2018

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a 1998 movie based on Hunter Thompson's book. It's directed by Terry Gilliam and stars Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro. I know it's got a great reputation, but I found this tedious.

trailer:


The New York Times has a negative review. Roger Ebert gives it 1 out of 4 stars and says, "The result is a horrible mess of a movie, without shape, trajectory or purpose--a one joke movie, if it had one joke." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics rating of 49%.

6 comments:

  1. I actually saw that movie. Watched it on TV. Like you, I was NOT impressed. Glad to see your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on a lot of must-see lists I've come across, and I actually bought a DVD. Mistake. But at least now I know....

      Delete
  2. I like Johnny Depp but he sometimes is in crap movies. This, to me, was one of those. I didn't care for it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially like Depp's older movies (before Jack Sparrow), but this one was a real turn-off.

      Delete
  3. I like Johnny Depp but he either makes a good movie or a not so good movie. I can't remember this movie, though I know I saw it. That might say something about it but I guess it is time to rewatch it. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll have a better appreciation of it. I hope so :)

      Delete