Monday, January 01, 2018

A New Year


We stayed home last night, as is our wont on New Year's Eve, and had snack supper and punch. The Husband is a teetotaler, and I've never figured out how to have champagne keep once it's opened. I'm good with the ginger ale over lime sherbet drink we used to have when I was young.

Supper was light:


We've been trying to stay warm. It's unseasonably cold here. We've had lows of 9 F and highs in the low 20s with wind chills at 10. Brrrrr! We're not even getting the snow that would make such cold worthwhile. I feel fortunate to be able to stay in and stay warm. The poor patio birds have frozen water because we're having trouble keeping thawed water available. I want this:

from Amazon

As the new year approaches I'm somehow thinking of my blog and am wondering about Blogger and Google+, as I see many people using both. I don't understand Google+ but have opened an account and will be ready if the desire strikes or if the two platforms merge. I've looked at Wordpress, but I'm not motivated enough to move everything from here to there.


I'm pausing a moment to be grateful that this year my problems have been at the level of how to ensure the birds on the patio have water in the winter and which blogging platform to use. What an easy year this has been!

I'm resolved to continue these parts of my life: exercising and improving my diet, getting a library card (now that they've quit requiring a SS#) and reading some more recently published books, working through movie lists, improving my patio space, participating in Bleubeard and Elizabeth's weekly T Stand for Tuesday parties, and finishing my family photo wall. No major changes for me! At least that's my prayer.

Later today we'll have the traditional black-eyed peas for luck. I'll put a photo here when I fix them.

Happy New Year!






13 comments:

  1. Happy 2018 to you too, dear friend. I get worried when I start reading people are leaving their blogs. So glad to read that will NOT be the case here. I truly LOVE everything you post, even if I am not fond of the movie or book you reviewed.

    Looks like you had a great New Year's eve. I'm with your hubby and a teetotaler, too, although I'm NOT opposed to drinking. Alcohol just doesn't taste good to me. I have my addiction, which is caffeine!

    There truly ARE a lot of first world problems, but yours and mine pale in comparison. Again, happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people leave blogging and I lose them forever :( I try to connect on FB when I can just as a back-up stay-in-touch plan, but it seems a lot of bloggers blog _instead_ of FB *sigh*. I do so enjoy the connections I've made through you. Thx!

      Delete
  2. Your ginger beer over lime sherbet sounds yummy and something I'd like to try - yum! Glad you are staying warm and are getting to grips with blog changes and it's great that you have made goals for 2018, that's something I do too 😁. Hope you enjoyed your black-eyed peas, I can't wait to see the photo of them. Wishing you a very Happy New Year too! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I realize I didn't take a photo of the black-eyed peas!

      Delete
  3. Ginger ale over lime sherbet is a new one for me but boy do I want to try it. I just need the lime sherbert. We are bitterly cold also and have been since Tuesday, almost a week. UGH! It's been going on too long and will be going on for several more days. YUK! Anyhow, sounds like you had a great 2017, and that is a good thing. I hope your 2018 is the same, because if your frozen bird bath is your biggest problem, then life is pretty spectacular. I must say my life is pretty good too, so I know what you are saying. Great goals. I hope you read lots of books to recommend. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to have problems that are so easily solvable :) We're expecting a high here today (on the 2nd) of 25. No snow in sight, which just doesn't seem right somehow.

      Delete
  4. The needing ss# for a library card really blows my mind. Living in Ohio it's always been name,address,phone number,and lately email address even children can walk into any library without a parent and get a card. Here's hoping you have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago when I went in to renew they said they needed it. When I refused to provide it they wouldn't renew my card. I can't imagine why they started requiring it. I checked recently, and it's no longer on the application form. Who knows what happened! I'm glad, though. I'll read a better variety if I have access to the library.

      Delete
  5. Ginger ale over lime sherbet is new for me and would be interesting to taste!Sounds like you had a great 2017! Super - mine was a good one as well I can tell.
    All the best for 2018 .Great goals Divers . Enjoy your black-eyed peas, happy first T-Day of 2018! 😊 Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! May our next year be at least as happy as this last one :)

      Delete
  6. That drink is a new one for me, too. Sounds good, though.

    I put out lots of seed but they go without water once it freezes. We have some rivers and creeks nearby but they are frozen over, too, I believe. I do think they all eat some snow along with the seed. ;)

    So glad you will have a library card and can go wild with it! Look forward to hearing about everything you watch and read in 2018. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The punch is easy, as I buy those little bottles of ginger ale and the ingredients keep well. It just feels a bit festive, even tho I'm the only one here who likes it.

      I'd love a bit of snow to go with the cold, but at least I'm not snowed it. I've been seeing what Pennsylvania has gone through this winter, and I'd rather have no snow at all than that! Wow!

      Delete
  7. sounds like you had a great time. We had sparkling apple cider, which is what we usually do.
    I would like to try the ginger ale and lime sherbet though.
    Hope you get the heated bird bath.
    Happy New year to you and your family:)

    ReplyDelete