Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Dragon Man


The Dragon Man by Garry Disher is an award-winning book, the first novel in the Australian series featuring Detective Inspector Hal Challis. I picked it up on a whim. I am not sure I've read any novels that take place in Australia, but I find this fascinating. The characters have interesting lives, and I appreciate how well fleshed out their private lives are while still maintaining the focus on the crime-based plot. I'll pick up the rest of this series along the way. This book takes place during the Christmas holiday season.

from the back of the book:
MEET HAL CHALLIS, DETECTIVE FOR THE MORNINGTON
PENINSULA POLICE FORCE IN SOUTHEAST AUSTRALIA, IN THE
FIRST INVESTIGATION IN THIS PRIZE-WINNING CRIME SERIES
A serial killer is on the loose in a small coastal town near Melbourne, Australia. Detective Inspector Hal Challis and his team must apprehend him before he strikes again. But first, Challis has to contend with the editor of a local newspaper who undermines his investigation at every turn, and with his wife, who attempts to resurrect their marriage through long-distance phone calls from a sanitarium, where she has been committed for the past eight years for attempted murder -his.
Reviewing the Evidence says it "completely engages the reader". Kirkus Reviews closes a positive review by saying, "This series debut from the prolific Disher (The Sunken Road, 1996, etc.) doesn’t read like one, thanks to fully formed characters and wall-to-wall mysteries. The offbeat setting’s a bonus for US readers." Publishers Weekly calls it "an intelligent, atmospheric police procedural".

8 comments:

  1. A new series I need to watch for. As you know, I LOVE mysteries, and this sounds like a fabulous beginning series. Thanks for the review and thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting! I've never read an Australian mystery novel but I have seen some Aussie movies and they were engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also seen a few Australian films, and the landscape is amazing!

      Delete
  3. I have never read any Australian mysteries either. It sounds good, and I am trying to read some new things, so I am going to put this on my list. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think. There are so many enjoyable books out there it's hard to commit to a series....

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good read with well thought out characters which I always enjoy too 😁. Have a great day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters and setting are what make this one for me :)

      Delete