Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Sugar Mama Blues

Sugar Mama Blues:




by Sonny Boy Williamson I, who died on June 1 in 1948 at the age of 34. He was born near Jackson, TN, (about an hour and a half northeast of Memphis) but settled in Chicago, Ill, in 1934. He was killed in a robbery as he walked the block and a half home from a performance at a local tavern.

lyrics excerpt:
I like my coffee sweet in the mornin'
You know, an I'm crazy 'bout my tea at night
I like my coffee sweet in the mornin'
You know, an I'm crazy 'bout my tea at night

Don't get my sugar three times a day
Oh, Lord, then I don't feel right

4 comments:

  1. This is a GREAT way to honor T this week. So sad to read that Sonny Boy was murdered. It's too bad times haven't changed much since he died, either, it seems. Thanks for sharing this wonderful song and the lyrics that are relevant for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE post for T day. It was still sad to read he was killed even though it was a long time ago because it is such a waste of a life. Hope you are having a great Tuesday! hugs-erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad that he was randomly murdered.
    This brings back the flavor of a time gone by. Even the sound of a needle on a record is something we don't hear anymore and there's something about those old blues singers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry I'm so late visiting you,I suppose better late than never as they say and I am drinking a hot drink whilst leaving this comment ...lol! It's such a shame how Sonny Boy died. I love a bit of Blues and very much enjoyed listening to his song whilst enjoying my drink 😀. Thanks so much and wishing you a very belated Happy T Tuesday! J 😊

    ReplyDelete