Friday, March 24, 2017

Wool


Wool is a post-apocalyptic novel by Hugh Howey. I knew nothing about this book and just picked it up at my local bookseller on a whim. I'm glad I did. It's an interesting situation.

from the back of the book:

What would you do
if the world outside was deadly,
and the air you breathed could kill?

And you lived in a place
where every birth required a death,
ad the choices you made could
save lives -or destroy them.

This is Jules's Story.

This is the world of Wool.

The Washington Post opens with this: "Even if it were just a run-of-the-mill post-apocalyptic novel about a society forced to live underground, “Wool” would still be quite a tale." The Guardian says it "is uneven but shows a great deal of promise". The Independent closes with this: "...with the film rights already sold to Ridley Scott, Howey's Wool is likely to be spoken about in the same breath as The Hunger Games and The Passage before long."

Wired says,
Howey’s strength is in his characters. They are distinct and yet familiar in their desires. They love, even when it isn’t allowed, they explore even within the confines of the silo and they create. So much happens in Wool that little more can be said about the characters without giving much away. Let’s just say that this is storytelling based upon good characters placed in difficult situations...

Fantasy Book Review says, "Give it a go. It's pretty good." SF Book concludes, "Wool is a fascinating tale of the world in a tube, a classic not to be missed." Kirkus Reviews has an interview with the author.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, if it's to be compared with The Hunger Games, I'm in. Sounds wonderful. And I probably won't even wait for the movie to see if I can find it in my local library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading it, I can see it as a film. Great characters!

      Delete
  2. Glad you found this book, it does sounds like an intersting read :-) . Have a great weekend! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find some good books by looking at books in physical brick & mortar stores. I miss our local bookseller, which recently closed. :(

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this but a friend of mine did and loved it too. She talked a lot about it which is how I recognized the title. I'm not really into post-apocalyptic books but I think this sounds like one of the better ones out there. :) Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It focuses more on character and relationships than the actual post-apocalypse. That might make a difference. I don't like the ones that focus on child and adolescent protagonists and appreciated the adult characters that were featured here.

      Delete