Sunday, January 22, 2017

Troy

Troy is a 2004 film based on characters in the Iliad. It's not an adaptation or a re-telling. There are characters with the same names, and some of them do things that might remind you of things they do in the Iliad, but that's as close as you get.

That said, it's a fun adventure movie, and we enjoyed it. It has a great cast, including Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, Orlando Bloom, Diane Kruger, Peter O'Toole, Brendan Gleeson, Sean Bean, and Julie Christie.

trailer:



The New York Times says, "But for what it is -a big, expensive, occasionally campy action movie full of well-known actors speaking in well-rounded accents- "Troy" is not bad." Empire Online concludes, "Bruising battles and some stirring performances make Troy enjoyable, if rather long. But if audiences can forgive the camp, they’'ll still struggle to empathise with the characters."

Roger Ebert gives it 2 out of 4 stars and says, "Homer's estate should sue." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics rating of 54% but an audience score that's higher at 73%.

4 comments:

  1. I laughed when I saw Ebert's comment. I do like some of the players, including Diane Kruger and Peter O'Toole. But I have never even heard of this movie before. I like that you reviewed it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when it came out -a big splashy ad campaign- but I didn't see it then, and then I forgot it.

      Delete
  2. I remember this film. I can't say it was memorable (until you mentioned it), but I do remember finding it enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find "fun while it lasted" is often fun enough :)

      Delete