Thursday, January 05, 2017

Probability Space


Probability Space is the final book in a science fiction series by Nancy Kress. This is an interesting series, easy to read but with truly alien concepts. This was by far my least favorite in the series. I preferred the exploration of life on the alien planet and the philosophical consideration of their evolution under the influence of the alien artifact in the earlier books to the squabbles of petty adults, growing sexual awareness of the fourteen-year-old girl, and the political intrigues present here. They must be read in order, as the situations in this book are wholly dependent on the previous books to be understandable.

from the back of the book:
Humanity is at war with the alien Fallers, and it is a war we are losing. Our implacable foes ignore all attempts at communication, and they take no prisoners. Our only hope lies with an unlikely group: Major Lyle Kaufman, retired warrior; Marbet Grant, the Sensitive who's involved with Kaufman; Amanda, a very confused fourteen-year-old girl; and Magdalena, one of the biggest power-brokers in all of human space.

As the action moves from Earth to Mars to the farthest reaches of the galaxy, with civil unrest back home and alien war deep in space, four humans -armed with little more than an unproven theory- try to enter the Fallers' home star system. It's a desperate gamble, and the fate of the entire universe may hang in the balance.
SF Site concludes by saying,
Probability Space is a well-written space-adventure, which, because it focuses more on story than character, should satisfy readers of the Probability series who want to know how the story ends, but may disappoint those who'd like to know more about the people in the story.
SF Revu closes with this: "This very smart book is not perfect, but it is challenging and satisfying." Kirkus Reviews has a negative review. Publishers Weekly has a positive review.

I have read the others in the series:
  1. Probability Moon
  2. Probability Sun

This counts towards my TBR book challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I know a tiny bit about probability theory, but if I have to read them in order, I will probably (theory or not) not read this trilogy. However, I appreciate the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know nothing about probability theory ;) I trust authors to fill me in on enough of what I need to know, and that usually works for me.

      Delete