Sunday, December 18, 2016

A Christmas Carol (2009)

This Disney adaptation of A Christmas Carol is a computer animated motion-capture film from 2009. Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman, and Colin Firth star. This is fascinating to watch. It's far from cheerful, though, and I think it's one of the darkest and grimmest.

You can watch it here with ads:

Video Production
The NYT calls it "a big, noisy and sometimes terrifying version," "in the midst of obeying the rules of modern-day spectacle, it sticks close to some of the sturdy virtues of the source material," and regrets the attempt to "juice up the third act with action-movie thrills". The Guardian says, "It's a faithful adaptation, and if you're taking little kids to see it, well, watch out –there are some scary moments ... But there is a weird lack of passion here, almost condescension..."

Roger Ebert gives it 4 out of 4 stars. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics rating of 54%.

4 comments:

  1. You've really piqued my curiosity. I have never heard of this version. Who knew there was so many versions of a Christmas Carol? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many different times this story has been adapted for tv or film. We all have our favorites, I imagine, but this one isn't one of mine ;)

      Delete
  2. Once again, I can't see a video. When my friend Scott came by on Thursday, I asked him to fix my computer so I could see videos. He told me I needed a new computer, so I'm giving one to myself for Christmas. At least that's the plan, if I can find something I can live with and afford. Then maybe I can comment with something other than "can't see it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame you can't update the Flash :( But sometimes computers just can't take new updates, and it's time to replace. My last computer crashed before I replaced it, and that was difficult. I hope you enjoy your computer shopping :)

      Delete