Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Outrage

Outrage is a 1950 film directed by Ida Lupino. It's the 2nd film made to deal with rape. It was Mala Powers' first starring role. Hard to watch even today. So much hasn't changed since then.

via Youtube:


The New Yorker says,
“Outrage” is a special artistic achievement. Lupino approaches the subject of rape with a wide view of the societal tributaries that it involves. She integrates an inward, deeply compassionate depiction of a woman who is the victim of rape with an incisive view of the many societal failures that contribute to the crime, including legal failure to face the prevalence of rape, and the over-all prudishness and sexual censoriousness that make the crime unspeakable in the literal sense and end up shaming the victim. Above all, she reveals a profound understanding of the widespread and unquestioned male aggression that women face in ordinary and ostensibly non-violent and consensual courtship. Her movie is about the experiences of one young woman and, yes, about the experience of all women.
Rotten Tomatoes has an audience score of 83%.

2 comments:

  1. Just watched this. As a victim of rape (1968) I could relate to some of this movie. The victim being blamed was still very much prevalent. It makes no sense when you are a random victim dragged off the street, but you feel ruined, defiled, and like it is somehow your fault (heck--everybody in authority seems to blame you so you think they must be right).

    I could also relate to the immediate memory loss of certain details. I think you mind does that to protect you. I have never been able to remember their faces but I would remember something like their hair--or with her, the scar. Being as the girl in the movie was attacked walking home in the dark (me, too) I was shocked that she was running about in the dark afterwards like she was. People react differently and I don't know if this was based on a personal story or just a fabrication.

    Anyways, I certainly hope things have changed over the years with the police and hospital personnel. I think it has from what I have read and I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what it's like to be attacked and violated like this. I like to think films like this one helped raise awareness, and I'm glad Ida Lupino used her talent and influence to try to tell this story. I am shocked when I hear people today question what the victim was wearing or ask why she was where she was. People like Todd Akin, for example, who claim women don't get pregnant if it's "legitimate rape" make my head explode :(

      Delete