Saturday, August 13, 2016

Patio Update


The photo above was taken during one of the short periods between blooming for the lantana and the bee balm. The heat has been hard even on the plants that are hardy, but it doesn't take long for blooms to return.

We've had a growing number of lovely insects on the patio lately, and I thought I'd post some photos. They like the zinnias and the lantana especially.


I planted Rue a couple of years ago, and it has paid off in butterflies:


and caterpillars:


We've also watched this grasshopper grow up to about 4 inches long, defeating every effort by sparrows and wrens to end his life:


These moths (can you see it at the flower below?) are so big and have wings that move so quickly they remind me of hummingbirds more than moths:


I saw my first praying mantis of the season just a couple of days ago:


We've had big yellow butterflies and big orange butterflies and several kinds of smaller butterflies and moths I just haven't been able to get photos of. I'll keep trying. It's fun to have a space where interesting little creatures can be watched from my house.

6 comments:

  1. I'm in total AWE of your patio. It is fantastic. Those caterpillars are the ones that devour my dill, so you don't need to plant dill to get yours. You have something growing there it likes.

    You have created a lovely garden for both humans to visit, as well as a safe haven for many creatures. BTW, I saw the Kansas City Royals (baseball team) have adopted a praying mantis that keeps hanging around their dugout. I guess they stick around when they feel it's safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought dill seeds -the plants aren't on offer this late in the season here. I'm going to plant the dill seeds and see how it goes.

      The praying mantis is always fun to have around. I've lost sight of this one, but trust it's still out there. Last year we had one on the coleus most of the summer. I do enjoy watching what comes :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a beautiful space it has become with such lovely visitors! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It is fun watching the visitors.

      Delete
  3. Your garden is really looking wonderful. I love seeing how its changed over the weeks. Hope you have a great new week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Every day brings changes in a garden, and it's fun to see what each day brings.

      Delete