Friday, August 12, 2016

Aliens

Aliens is the 1986 sequel to the groundbreaking 1979 science fiction film Alien. I had never seen it, not really caring for horror and having been truly horrified by the original. I saw that one in the theater when it was released, thinking it was a science fiction film. Silly me. Since that time I've developed a bit of an appreciation for the horror genre and have been watching ones I missed out on through the years.

trailer:



When the film was released, the NYT review describes it as "a flaming, flashing, crashing, crackling blow-'em-up show that keeps you popping from your seat despite your better instincts and the basically conventional scare tactics." Empire Online calls it "the perfect sequel."

Roger Ebert opens a positive review with this: "The ads for "Aliens" claim that this movie will frighten you as few movies have, and, for once, the ads don't lie. The movie is so intense that it creates a problem for me as a reviewer..." Rotten Tomatoes has a 98% critics score.

4 comments:

  1. Eep! No frighteners for me, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That original Alien movie! Definitely took me a long time to recover from that one.

      Delete
  2. I think I saw Alien with somebody who wanted to see it. That's where they are stuck on a spaceship with a big ugly slimy creature, right? Those are the kind of movies that don't interest me in general, so I'd never watch the sequel. I don't remember being scared. I don't know why, but monster movies don't usually scare me. I think people are scarier--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to see the original, but I'd thought it was science fiction. I wasn't happy at the horror and all the jump scenes. More startling than scary, but effective at what it set out to do.

      Delete