Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Gun Crazy

Gun Crazy is a 1950 film noir starring Peggy Cummins (who was in Night of the Demon with Dana Andrews), John Dall (Rope, Spartacus), and Russ Tamblyn (Gideon, the youngest brother in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; Riff, the leader of the Jets in West Side Story; The Haunting; Babylon 5).

I found this a bit heavy-handed, even preachy, but the critics love it.

I can't find a trailer for this.

Images Journal closes its review with this:
Gun Crazy is one of the great American movies, a giddily romantic story of two people who thrive off of each other and only completely come to life when in each other's presence. Some people might call Citizen Kane the great American movie. I might just opt for Gun Crazy instead.

Slant Magazine gives it 3 out of 4 stars and talks about Freud and phallic symbolism. FilmSite.org says, "the forerunner of director Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde (1967), is considered by many to be the ultimate B-movie - with film noirish elements." DVD Talk says, "It's one of the most popular films noir because, like Kiss Me Deadly, it's just so much fun."

It's listed in the book 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. TCM has information. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 97%.

4 comments:

  1. I can't get it to load, but that is probably my old computer. So, I'll just rely on your review, instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be the veoh site. That's the only place I could find it and I had trouble with that site on my last computer.

      Delete
  2. I hit publish too soon. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This respiratory virus is ugly. At 2 1/2 weeks in, I'm better but still not over it. :( I appreciate you asking after me :)

      Delete