Saturday, April 02, 2016

Svengali (1931)

Svengali is a 1931 horror film starring John Barrymore. It was nominated for 2 Academy Awards. This one is worth watching as an example of early, pre-code horror and, of course, for John Barrymore. It's perfect for folks who don't like modern horror but who would like some touchstone for understanding what others see in the genre.

via Youtube:



1000 Misspent Hours gives it 3 out of 4 stars and says Barrymore should've played villains more often. HorrorNews.net has a plot synopsis, a lengthy review, and screenshots. DVD Talk calls it "a horror film with fantastic, classical elements" and says,
The 1931 Svengali is notable for its incredible expressionistic set design by Pole Anton Grot - which looks more Eastern European than anything in Paris - and similarly highly stylized costumes and makeup, along with some startling special effects that continue to amaze nearly 80 years after it was made.
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 83%.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder and suggestion. I have heard of this film many times but have never seen it, so I think I will find some time later today when it is pouring and not exactly time to be ambitious and watch it. Hope its great weekend for you. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you like it. It's turning out to be a lovely week-end to be outside :) so that's where I've been -at the park.

      Delete
  2. This was interesting. I know the expression "Svengali" but was not entire familiar with where it came from. Also, that the trilby hat came from this story, or the first staging of it, was new to me. My father always used a trilby, probably as a more international version of the tyrolian hat; he came to Sweden from Austria in the 50´s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had always heard the trilby hat came from a book, so I'm unsure of the connection with this film. I like wide brims and don't have a trilby. I have 2 fedoras, though ;) You know how I love hats :)

      Delete
  3. We don't usually watch horror films but I may have to give this one a chance since since I've always admired Barrymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think this is a good one for folks who aren't really into horror. Modern ones are so often filled with gore :(

      Delete