Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Grove Grill

Our original plan was to go to Napa Cafe -a restaurant close to us where we had never been, but the young woman at the stand when we walked in just looked at us. When I said we wanted a table for 2, she said they weren't seating any more people for lunch that day. Oh. I was surprised since it was noon and they serve lunch until 2, but OK. When I asked when would be a good time to come back she said, "5," but we wanted lunch. When I explained that, she suggested we try again the next day. I was left to ask why the next day would be different or if it was just as likely we'd be turned away then, too. At any rate, we decided to cut our losses and move on. If it's that hard to get seated there for lunch on a weekday, they obviously don't need us; and we prefer a restaurant that's a bit more welcoming.

We ended up at The Grove Grill. another restaurant close-by in the Laurelwood Shopping Center.


It was our first time there, and it looked like a popular spot for business lunches and lady lunches. I imagine it'd be a nice place at night for a quiet dinner date. These photos were taken from our table, trying not to get other diners in the pictures:


The menu offered a nice variety. The Husband wanted to see what their hamburger was like, and I had the club sandwich. We each had iced tea:


The club wasn't a traditional club sandwich but was chicken breast with avocado, bacon and tomato. Delicious! The staff was pleasant, welcoming, and helpful. Our total was about $33 before tip, which is a bit steep for us for lunch, but it was a nice treat. It was our Valentine's Day Observed, as it's hard for us to manage eating out on Sundays.

Yelp has a 4 out of 5 star rating with 45 reviews. Trip Advisor has a 3.5 out of 5 star rating with 50 reviews. Eat Local Memphis has a positive review and great photos of the food. The Memphis Flyer has articles and reviews. Some reviews describe it as "relaxed fine dining" and that sounds apt.

We walked to to the end of the shopping center to have dessert at Frost, a fabulous bakery where we got The Daughter's wedding cake.


The Husband got a sugar cookie, and I had a lemon bar, and we each had coffee. Really good coffee:


I can't seem to branch out. The lemon bars are too hard to resist.

Please join the weekly T Tuesday party hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth. There's much sharing of beverages, and the participants often share some art-related posts.

16 comments:

  1. Elizabeth has cheesecake and you have lemon bars. Two of my favorite desserts. I'm missing out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that cheesecake looks sooooo good!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes!! I would NEVER pass up that lemon bar!
    Too bad about the first place, I think I would have asked to see the manager.....but that's just me. Their loss and YOUR gain from the photos of your lunch. Looks so yummy and you chicken club sounds so divine ...chicken and avocado.......oh my mouth is watering...LOL
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Napa Cafe is a fine place, and we'll eventually get back around to it. But only after we've been to the other restaurants we haven't tried yet ;)

      Delete
  3. It is always fun to treat yourself and going out to eat is not cheap.
    I would have been tempted by that lemon bar too = yummy yum!!!
    Happy T Day.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice treat now and then is so good for the soul! Too bad about the first restaurant but it sure looks like you fared well at the second choice-your club sandwich sounds divine! And now you're the second T person to mention avocado... I am so sorry I didn't pick another up when I was out yesterday but I won't forget when I go out again Thursday:)Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, my tummy is howling for this Lemon bar, Looks really scrummy!
    thanks for your visit and have a great t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gosh... I need such a lemon bar right now ...just this moment !
    Thinking about it waters my mouth!
    Happy T - Day!

    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to places where they look down on me as if I was a bug they would like to squash, but I've never been told the restaurant was no longer serving with two hours left to serve lunch. You should be glad you left, although that restaurant you visited was rather elegant and pricey. I read their menu, so I know the club and burger weren't cheap. More like dinner prices in Wichita, I fear. But for a special belated Valentine's gift to each other, it seems appropriate, I'm sure.

    Thanks for sharing your lunch, your tea, your LEMON bar, and great coffee with us for T this Tuesday. Enjoyed your photos, too, because I don't like to include people/patrons in my photos, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! Happy T day hugs Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks as though your second choice had some good food and for a celebration the higher cost doesn't count! Coffee and cake somewhere else sounds good! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your club sandwich looks huge! (But then everything in the US is huge) What are those 'balls' on the plate. They look like deep fried. I've never had a lemon bar but it looks very yummy.
    What a rude member of staff at the other restaurant. If a restaurant is fully booked that day, I'm sure there are more tactful ways of saying this to a customer.
    Thanks for visiting mine,
    Happy T-day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fried okra. I had a choice of sides, and I dearly love fried okra. They did a good job with it, too. Perfect!

      I think the hostess at the first restaurant wasn't rude so much as graceless. She was pleasant enough, just clueless. Maybe new?

      Delete
  11. Be sure and review that first place!!
    Sounds like the other two spots were fabulous. :)
    Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I concur with the other opinions...the lemon bar sounds wonderful! A nice lunch out finished with the perfect dessert. I think you made the right choice in 'moving on.' happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous lunch!And what a beautiful second choice!Nice restaurant!

    ReplyDelete