Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The First Cup


Jean-Étienne Liotard was a Swiss painter from the 1700s. This painting is called "The First Cup" and is from 1754. The Encyclopedia Britannica says, "A versatile artist, in addition to his graceful and delicate pastel drawings he achieved distinction for his enamels, copperplate engravings, and glass painting. He wrote a Treatise on the Art of Painting and was himself an art collector." You can see more of his work at The Athenaeum.

I think the woman in the chair has been happily anticipating this first cup and looks very pleased with her modest servant. I get my own tea, thank you, and wouldn't quite know how to act with a server in my own home. A lot of paintings show servants, but it's certainly not a common thing in any homes I'm familiar with.

Please join the T(ea) Tuesday gathering at Bluebeard and Elizabeth's blog, where talented people post their own art. What can I say? There have to be people out here who aren't artists themselves but who appreciate the artistic talent of others. That's me!

note: We have cancelled out AT&T internet service because we keep losing internet access and then it takes days for us to get service back. We are using a hotspot device, but it's slow as Christmas and "spotty" at best. We'll have service through another provider by the end of the week, but I'm not sure how much visiting I'll be able to do in the meanwhile.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting composition with the maid barely in the frame. I'll be making my own tea/coffee this morning though.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that I'd rather get my own tea and meals. What did catch my eye in this painting is the amazing texture of the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that lovely painting...
    I enjoyed clicking on it for a closer look...
    definitely a story there.
    Wishing you a Happy T Day and good luck getting your internet service sorted out
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother's parents had a maid. I get my own, too. I tried to train Bleubeard to make my coffee, but he got scared when he had to push the button on the grinder (grin).

    I definitely appreciate what you bring to the table, dear. It's always something different from the art most of us share. I am usually surprised when I see whatever you offer, too.

    I have AT&T and I couldn't agree more. It is a mess, and my service is so slow, I often can't even run a video. I'd give you one of those cupcakes, except I already ate them all.

    Thanks for sharing this beauty with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lovely painting , and the woman being served her tea has a compassionate and gentle look. Like Darla, I too will continue making my own coffee and tea:) Good luck with your new internet service and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer that you are having server issues. We can only get one server out here and their high speed is the slowest on the internet.. We keep hoping that cable will come to our little part of the country.. It's not that far away from here already. There are days I feel a server would be nice.... but only on those low energy days :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She does look delighted. I have a coffee-grin in the morning, myself. ;)
    I hope your new internet provider will work much better. Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely painting! Thank you so much for sharing! Happy Tday! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete