Friday, November 28, 2014

Oft, in the Stilly Night


In memory of my mother, who died on this date on Thanksgiving Day a year ago. At 95, she was the last of her generation in her family, and much was lost at her passing.

Oft, in the Stilly Night

By Thomas Moore

Oft, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain has bound me,
Fond memory brings the light
Of other days around me;
The smiles, the tears,
Of boyhood’s years,
The words of love then spoken;
The eyes that shone,
Now dimm’d and gone,
The cheerful hearts now broken!
Thus, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain hath bound me,
Sad memory brings the light
Of other days around me.

When I remember all
The friends, so link’d together,
I’ve seen around me fall,
Like leaves in wintry weather;
I feel like one
Who treads alone
Some banquet-hall deserted,
Whose lights are fled,
Whose garlands dead,
And all but he departed!
Thus, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain has bound me,
Sad memory brings the light
Of other days around me.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem. So sorry that your mother is gone. It must have made this holiday particularly hard for you. I still have my Mom and even though she lives in another state, I cherish the time I have with her.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad we both lived in the same city. I don't know how I'd have managed otherwise.

      Delete
  2. Lovely, sad song. One year passes quickly, doesn´t it, it seems so recently that she passed. Perhaps it´s a good thing that it coincided with this particular holiday, as it is - I understand - a particularly family oriented holiday. You are likely, I hope, to always have support on this sad anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is that. And at least the way it happened my husband and kids were with me in her apartment when her time came. Most other days I'd have been alone or only had one of them with us.

      Delete
  3. Both sad and endearing, this is a lovely, heartfelt tribute to your mother. This must be a really stressful time, with painful memories since this is your first Thanksgiving without her. In reading what others have written, all I can add is, the pain will lessen with each year. That I can promise from someone who has been through it all with both my Grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully your memories of your mom are beautiful and bring you joy.
    I keep wanting to tie Thomas Moore to the author of The Night Before Christmas the song has a very similar feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother and I were always close, and especially so after I had my first child, so there are so many happy memories. But, oh! those last 4 years! So painful for her & so scary for me, and she never would give up having things the way she wanted them. All in all, I imagine the happy memories will win out over time.

      I think both authors were named Moore, so there is that tie :)

      Delete