Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Hunt for Red October


The Hunt for Red October is Tom Clancy's 1984 debut novel, a thriller made into a Sean Connery film in 1990. The film was faithful to the spirit of the book but was much simpler with many fewer sub-plots and plot elements. The book was enjoyable and an interesting, easy read.

from the back of the book:
Somewhere under the Atlantic, a Soviet sub commander has just made a fateful decision. The Red October is heading west.

The Americans want her. The Russians want her back. And the most incredible chase in history is on...

Here is the runaway bestseller that launched Tom Clancy's phenomenal career. A military thriller so gripping in its action and so convincing in its accuracy that the author was rumored to have been debriefed by the White House, Its theme: The greatest espionage coup in history. Its story: The chase for a top secret Russian missile sub. It's title: The Hunt for Red October.
Memphis Reads closes its review with this: "The story keeps the reader on edge from beginning to end, and gives an inside view of U.S. intelligence operations and executive decision making. Adventure readers are sure to enjoy this submarine drama." The Washington Post calls it "a tremendously enjoyable and gripping novel of naval derring-do".

6 comments:

  1. I remember reading this novel in the early 90s, either right before or right after the movie came out. I was told that if I enjoyed the book, the movie would be a bit tame. It was not the first book by Clancy I read, because I read other Jack Ryan novels before this one. I really enjoyed anything Clancy wrote, especially anything with Jack Ryan in it. I'm glad you reviewed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son tells me I'd like his other work. I'll have to pick some up.

      Delete
  2. Loved movie. Haven't read book. Have read several Clancey books and the Jack Ryan films. Big Harrison Ford fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel odd to see Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan after I'd seen Red October with someone else in the role.

      Delete
  3. I read this in the late 80´s as a deal with a boyfriend to read each other´s favourite book. I enjoyed it much, not sure he liked The Hitchhiker´s Guide to the Galaxy as much! lol I could never see Ford as Ryan - they should have stuck with Baldwin, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pick Hitchhiker! lol

      I think 4 different actors have played that part. You know it's a good character when a franchise can sustain that many changes in casting.

      Delete