Saturday, August 30, 2014

Doctor Who Cosplay


The Daughter, The Younger Son and I were quite excited about the theater showing of the new Doctor Who episode premier. We love Capaldi for the role, and -even though we don't get a TV channel that airs the series- we faithfully follow the news online and buy the DVDs as soon as they're released. I've been a fan since back in the day when the series aired on PBS. We wanted to be a part of this.

It was assumed we would go dressed appropriately for the experience. The Daughter and I each dressed as The Doctor we consider our own, and The Son went as Captain Jack. My garb was accumulated from several Goodwill store trips around town, except for the scarf (purchased from the Doctor Who rack at the local Spin Street) and the hat (Stein Mart). I feel like I hit the jackpot with this combination. I love the jacket.

This is the Fourth Doctor look I was trying to imitate:


The look I achieved is at the top of the post. Not bad, right?

The Daughter wore this dress from Hot Topic with red high-top Converse shoes to be the Tenth Doctor:


and combined it with the fez. Yes, the fez, which her Doctor does put on in one of his scenes. In fact, there's a fez connection to several of the Doctors.

The Younger Son found the perfect thrift store coat, changed the buttons from navy to gold and added some stripes to the shoulders and was transformed into Captain Jack Harkness. He went with the vest instead of suspenders.

We all had such great fun. There were other people who also came in themed attire: a couple of people dressed as the TARDIS, there were a few Tenth Doctors. The only drawback was the distance. We drove to Little Rock, Arkansas, for the show, which was our closest option. Why, oh why, didn't they offer this in Memphis?

10 comments:

  1. The only Doctor Who I ever got to see on TV was David Tennant who I just realized was the 10th incarnation of the Doctor. So glad you had a chance to go and participate in this fun event. To go in attire must have been even more fun. I never realized it was shown on PBS. That must have been before I owned a TV. (Yes, I'm serious about that).

    Little Rock was a bit of a drive, wasn't it? Somehow I doubt there will ever be one of these events in Wichita. But I was delighted to see your outfit and read about the fun you must have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was shown on PBS back in the 70s. I'm not sure for how long. I wish I could see it on TV now, but not enough to pay for cable.

      Delete
  2. Little Rock wasn't that far was it, I would have guessed only an hour from Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get there. The Google directions said 2 hrs 25 minutes from my house to that theater, so I did pretty good, especially considering all the construction on I-40. It was down to 1 lane each way in some places.

      Delete
    2. That is quite a drive I've only been through that way once, I guess I remembered wrong.

      Delete
    3. We went through Little Rock once and stopped at the Clinton Presidential library. It's the only one I've ever been to, and I was impressed. I'd love to go to a few more of them. I'd rather not travel I-40 west of here again 'til that construction is completed.

      Delete
    4. The in-laws were RVers they have been to more than 20 presidential libraries or museums and really enjoy them.

      Delete
    5. Oh, great fun! I'd love to see Bush (Dallas), Reagan, and FDR. RVing has always sounded like such an adventure to me. :)

      Delete
  3. Love your Doctor-outfit! It has that academic, slouchy elegance that I love, and it looks comfortable, too. I have always been envious at the south Europeans: when winter comes, they just put on a big scarf on top of their jacket, and they are dressed for winter. I would dress like that all the time, if I could.

    We never did see Dr Who in Sweden, and when they finally aired some episodes a few years ago, I think it was too late. At least for me. Capaldi is great, of course, I saw him in a documentary once about Leonardo da Vinci, he managed to make the man come alive with very small means.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GHAOHaa8tY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for that video. I've not seen that documentary. If they show it there now, you could give it a chance. People generally become attached to their "first" Doctor, and Capaldi would be a great long-term love lol.

      I tend to get cold easily, but I have one of those Lands End fleece coats that's always enough for winters here.

      Delete