Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cafe Keough


The Daughter and I went downtown earlier this summer and spent the afternoon. We had lunch at Cafe Keough, which is a relatively new spot, and sat outside. The chairs are actually comfortable! I had the spinach and feta quiche and side salad, and she had the ham and cheese quiche and the fruit salad:


I had espresso, and she had Earl Grey tea. Doesn't this look yummy? It tasted good, too. You can check out the menu here. I paid about $7, I think, for my meal.

The I Love Memphis blog says it feels like a neighborhood cafe. Choose 901 has a positive review. Urban Spoon gives it a score of 96%. Yelp gives Cafe Keough 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. They have a Facebook page.

The cafe is located on Main Street just a block or so north of Union, so we parked at Parking Can Be Fun's garage:


and walked up to the cafe from there. After we ate we walked up north a ways, then turned around and headed back south. We stopped for a treat at The Peanut Shoppe:


It's a Memphis institution since 1949. They have a wide variety of peanuts, popcorn and sweet treats. The staff is delightful. They have a Facebook page. The Urban Spoon gives it a rating of 92%. Yelp gives it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. It's as cute as can be, and it's fun to take The Daughter to a place I went when I was little.

We kept heading south. I dropped a get well card in the mail at the main post office, and we went down to Beale Street and turned east. Walking down Beale Street, we looked over our options for where to eat the next time we're downtown. As we were walking, we took a picture of Elvis:


I just love this town!

Other folks are sharing adventures at the T(ea) Tuesday party hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth. Please join in!.

30 comments:

  1. AHHH! The OTHER Peanut Shoppe. This one looks like it has more atmosphere.

    Your quiche and salad look yummy. I would eat that. And it looked reasonably priced, too. I'll have to check out their menu, even though I'm nowhere near Memphis (grin). Nothing like good publicity, is there?

    I enjoyed your walk around town, too. Memphis has SO much to offer. You should be their designated tour guide.

    Thanks for sharing Memphis and lunch for T this week. Now I need an espresso!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to start getting interior shots of these places. I keep forgetting that part.

      Espresso is always what's needed! :)

      Delete
  2. Really fun seeing some of your special town.
    Your lunch looks and sounds perfect to me...
    eating al fresco is one of my favorite things!
    Happy T Day
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always look for eating places that have outside space. :) Fun!

      Delete
  3. Memphis rocks as does Elvis (my fav) for sure! I haven't been there is years, so I enjoyed the visit with you today. Lunch looks delicious and sounded quite reasonable! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memphis is packed with tourists here this week for Death Week, and we love watching the tourists. :) It's sweet to have them here enjoying themselves. I'm glad you enjoyed the "virtual" visit.

      Delete
  4. Lunch looks great. I enjoy tours of towns I will probably never see in person. I've learned a lot about Memphis from your posts. I think you live in a great town that has lots to offer. Keep going out and showing us new places please.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many ways to get to know places we won't ever see in person. I love the internet for that :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your lovely town and outing. Those quiches sound SO yummy! Glad you had a nice day outdoors in the sunshine to enjoy your experience.Happy T day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a good place for hot sunshine lol! That's my favorite weather for eating outside.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a really fun outing with delish food and atmosphere!
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy strolling through town with you, someday I'd like to do it in person.

    Your lunch looks divine.

    Thanks for the visit this week. Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot to do here. I haven't done it all yet! lol Happy T Day :)

      Delete
  8. Hello and Happy T Day! Thank you for this fun walk around town, wish I was there. I enjoyed it all and the meal sounds soooo yummy right now. Thanks for sharing these great pictures with us. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! Glad you enjoyed it :) Happy T Day

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the visit with you to Memphis ! And the meal looks as it was really yummie!
    Happy T-DAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had fun "visiting" Memphis :) Happy T Tuesday!

      Delete
  10. These pictures are so wonderful I especially love that parking is fun one.
    Have a great week
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get such a kick out of that Parking Can Be Fun parking garage! lol

      Delete
  11. Now you have me hungry for quiche!! Does look like a great town.
    Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, you do have some fun places and restaurants in your town! thanks for taking us along. And great shot of Elvis...I hear there's a new movie coming out about him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a huge week here in Memphis for Elvis fans, and we have tourists everywhere! Fun! :) I hadn't heard about a new movie. I hope it's well done.

      Delete
  13. Your food looks so delicious!
    My daughter just showed me her Memphis album--she loved it there, said it was like being back in the day. I'm an Elvis fan and I think she is now for sure :)
    Happy Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thx for sharing about your daughter. I'm so glad she liked it here :)

      Delete
  14. Your quiche looks delicious and reasonably priced. I love quiche and make it often. Enjoyed your tour today. I have never toured Graceland. Would like to do that someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't toured Graceland either. It's on the to-do list, though.

      I haven't made quiche in years, but I need to get my recipe out. Happy T-Day :)

      Delete
  15. Thanks for a peek at Memphis. I doubt I will ever get there but maybe one day, I can and maybe pop into the Peanut Shop!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't go everywhere, but I'm glad you liked this virtual visit :)

      Delete